Monday 18 June 2012

How the new website was born

At long last. 

Many moons ago I decided it was time to make my website stand out from the crowd. It is the window to my world, the way I work and the images on it are there to give people the best impression of me. So of course it needs to be good. For three years I had been using a template website which I had tweaked and fiddled around with, but it was never quite right. With the added goal of driving my photography to new heights, I needed some help getting the job done properly. So I started shopping. Not an easy thing to do with so many options... 

I finally came across Nige and Jamie at the SWPP Convention in January. Their company Freebird design some of the best websites I have seen and after a chat and showing them my work I knew these could be the guys who could pull it off. 

The first stage of design was the logo. Back and forth we went with ideas and sketches finally deciding on the simple but elegant one that you see below. It is balanced, stylish and unique. The birds? Well you can decide what they represent, but I think they could symbolise love and companionship... and what are weddings all about?


So the next stage was coming up with the overall look and feel. I wanted something that was reminiscent of a wedding. Appeal is aimed to be universal with small details for the keen eyed, but at the same time it should make the viewer feel comfortable with how to navigate and discover what I am all about. This is how the landing page looks...


There are links along the bottom of every page to Facebook, Twitter and this blog. With social media taking such an important role regarding exposure and reach, it is vital to have these incorporated. The Portfolio page is there to show off my photographs so we opted for a 'dim the lights' effect to reduce distraction. There is also a 'Watch Me' link to view a recent video slideshow.




Accessibility is key and being able to get to various parts is generally only one or two clicks away, for example, the side bar allows you to navigate to various sections from every page. 


Really really pleased that it is now built and up for the world to see. I have to thank the awesome team at Freebird for their hard work and patience dealing with all my changes. I also couldn't have done it without the support and advice from my gorgeous wife. Thank you. :)


If you haven't seen the website yet then do head over by clicking here and if you like it, spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment